The shipyard was founded in 1911. Throughout more than a century it became an international point of reference for ship repair, conversion and maintenance. Skills, experience, capacity and resources to undertake a wide range of repair or conversion projects go far back in time, passed out through generations of forward looking managers and master workers.
Today, Cantieri del Mediterraneo is a distinctive and integral part of the Port of Naples. From its establishment onward the shipyard has been a great institution of enterprise and industry for Naples and the surrounding territory.
Established in 1911 with the full management of two shipways and two dry docks right in the heart of the Port of Naples. World War I throw into disarray shipping as a whole, nevertheless the yard succeeded in taking on many projects of both ship repair and construction. In the late ’20s the yard specialized in the conversion of freighters into passenger ships.
In the decade 1929-1939 the yard expanded its activity and facilities, while the number of employees soared up to 2.000 units.
The yard was indeed working full steam ahead with the construction of battlecruisers, military and commercial vessels in the meantime with conversion and maintenance works.
As World War II broke out, in ’40s the yard repaired more than 700 ships a year, military and commercial units as well. In the post war years, the facilities severed damaged underwent a rebuild and industrial requalification. The decade 1955-65 saw a significant leap ahead of the yard’s activity.
A new 335 m x 40 m graving dock was built within the yard premises to dock larger vessels. Additional improvements to the shipyard were done from early ’70s increasing the equipment and expanding the area of the yard. In 1984 the yard was included in a national plan aiming to revamping ship repair industry.
In 1993, the company now named Cantieri del Mediterraneo, was acquired by a group of entrepreneurs whose aim was to lead the yard into a bright future. The new investments plan focused on the modernization and improvement of the facilities as well as a reorganisation. At the beginning of the years 2000 the goal was fully achieved and Cantieri del Mediterraneo is now one of the largest and best equipped shipyard in Italy. A shipyard suitable and capable for ship repair and conversion, as well as for large yacht refit.